CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Three long days in the kitchen!

Like I said in my last post I get tons of fruit to can every year from Jason's parents. Since I opted on Saturday to get my nails done with Candi instead of doing my fruit, I had to do mine by myself. So Bright and early Monday morning I started with my peaches and finished by nine o'clock that evening with my tomato's. Tuesday I started early again with my pears and finished around five o'clock. Tuesday night my legs and feet hurt so bad from standing for two days straight! But it was well worth it! I ended up doing 100 quarts of fruit and 20 pints of jam for my food storage. Whoo Hoo!! Today I thought I hadn't spent enough time in the kitchen over the last few days, so I baked two peach pies and a pan of chocolate peanut butter bars! Yummy! Tomorrow I will finish off my fruit by making some more jam. It is long and tedious work, but it is so worth all the trouble. The canned fruit is ten times better then the stuff you buy in the stores and it ends up being a lot cheaper. My kids are spoiled and wont even touch the store bought canned fruit and jam and even though I complain about my feet hurting I really do have fun when I'm canning. Maybe I'm just strange....

5 comments:

lydia moyer said...

who would have thought you would be so domestic? not me! but when i read you got a manicure and pedicure afterwards,that sounded more like the gini i knew!

Emily said...

that canning is amazing. I wish we were closer to taste all your goodies you cook up. You should start your own baking show. :)

tiarastantrums said...

Om MY GOODNESS - how long idd that really take you? I remember this from my childhood - hot kitchens - long hours - burning backs!!

Look at you!!

Yumi said...

Holy Martha Stewart! You're incredible! I'd totally buy some of your jams. :)
*sigh* my food storage just seems so bismal now...

Leslie said...

Doesn't it feel good to spend all day in the kitchen canning? It all looks great! I have kind of given up on canning fruit - every time I do, something isn't right and it doesn't turn out good. So I just stick with the vegi's instead. Hey, maybe if our families get desperate, we can barter fruit for veggie's!