CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

The garden

We finally got our garden planted today!!! HURRAY! What a load off my mind, we really should have done it last month, but with the cold weather and me being so sick, it just didn't happen. We actually had a few hours with nothing on the calender so we took advantage and started planting. I had a crazy time trying to find any seeds to plant. I think with the prices of everything sky rocketing, everyone is a little scared and planting a garden this year. I had to go to four different stores to get all the seed I needed, we still didn't get everything we wanted, but we got the basics. Corn, beans, peas, carrots, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, and pumpkins. Every year I let the kids plant the pumpkins. They plant them and through out the summer they water and weed. I think it is a great way for the kids to see what hard work can accomplish. Come October, they have great pumpkins for carving, and it is all because of the work they did. (we didn't plant last year, I was still in hibernation from having a baby and wanted nothing to do with a garden. So Grandma gave the kids pumpkins from hers.) After the pumpkins were planted, we separated, Jason and Will tackled the corn, Isabel, Evan and I got on the peas and carrots, and Bennett decided to mow the lawn. (it was his first time mowing the lawn, and he was really excited. He felt like he was driving a car!) After those were down, everyone but Isabel and I wimped out and we were left with the rest to plant by ourselves. When we finally got it done, I was thrilled. It can be quite a chore to get it all done, especially with how big ours is, but nothing is better than fresh veggies from your own garden!

...............................Bennett's first driving attempt!
.....................................Daddy's little helper
.......................................my hard workers
......................................the finished product

6 comments:

Yumi said...

Oh to have a garden! And a yard big enough to mow with a ride-on mower! Mitch would be so jealous! Here in Hawaii, the closest I get to a garden is a little 2x6 box of herbs...which I was so proud of until construction began and it got transferred to the other side of the house where I basically forgot about it. :P

tiarastantrums said...

WOW - we had a garden like that when I was a child! - Actually bigger - fresh veggies all year long! I only have a small garden - tomatoes is all I plant. I tried lettuce - too dirty - never could get it clean enough. I like the pumpkin idea - I think I will do that this year. I haven't planted yet either due to this cold crappy weather!!

Leslie said...

looks great! My paretns have one of those seed planter things . . . they work great. It sure makes planting a lot easier. Good luck from one gardener to another!

Brittany said...

Your garden is HUGE! Lawrence wants a bigger one but we just don't eat enough of what we grow as it is. Maybe when the kids are older...

Good job! Planting is a big job!!!

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

Sounds like fun, we still need to get ours planted also. Great job on all the pics!

Emily said...

Jed said he had nightmarish flashbacks of gardening from his childhood looking at these pictures. What a baby! Your garden is huge - you guys did a great job. What a great family activity!