CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Driving Lessons

I was reading on my friend Aaron's blog on an article he read about 6 dangerous things your child should do. (http://shariandaaron.blogspot.com/2008/09/kids-and-danger.html) I thought this was very interesting and while there were some things that I disagreed with, there were a few that I did think had some merit. Some of them were things that I did as a child that were big self confidence boosters, like driving a car. So today I took Bennett out for his first driving lesson. He had no idea what we were going to do, all I told him was that we would do something fun after school today if he finished all his work at school. He came home all smiles as he handed me a note from his teacher showing that he was all finished. So when Jason got home (we were not using my car) we headed to the high school parking lot. I explained what we were doing and at first he didn't want to try. He was pretty nervous, but I told him to trust me and I would teach him what he needed to know. After getting the seat adjusted so he could see and touch the peddles (he had to sit on two phone books) he got started. He pretty much just drove around in circles and did a few figure eights, but still, he did a great job. (minus the time he gunned it while taking a turn!) He had a great time and was beaming when he was finished. It was good to see him smile for a change. Bennett is at that wonderful age when it's not cool to smile and normally will hide it when he does. I have to say this was very cool for both of us, and reminded me of when my Dad would take me out to drive.

He is growing up so fast. Just the other day Jason and I were saying how in just four short years this could be his car! CRAZY!! Wasn't it just yesterday he was learning to ride his bike?

That's when the lesson officially ended! He is so funny.

9 comments:

Cari Payne said...

Wow! How crazy he is getting that old! YOu are So Brave! He is going to be a heartbreaker! Cari

lydia moyer said...

your not kiding about him not wanting to smile. that is so funny! it was so fun to hear your voice again!!!! when he starts driving you need to tell him to watch out for blinking streetlights that might be aliens come to suck his brain. (please tell me you remember or i just sounded like a complete idiot!)

Yumi said...

I just got flashbacks to when drove for the very first time...at Driver's Ed because my Dad was a Driver Nazi and was the scariest person to drive with!!
You're such a cool mom! And yea, it's so neat to hear your voice! That sure doesn't change! Wow, I can't believe you have a boy old enough to be driving! (Well, techinically, he's not really old enough yet, but such a big boy!) INSANE! I like his last line in the video. Maybe the driving thing was a bit nerve-wracking...
hee hee...too funny.

tiarastantrums said...

om - so not ready for this!!!

Geisler's said...

And you thoughtI was crazy to let Braxton ride the motorcycle HAHA!! I hope you continue to so brave and talented so I have some one to run to when I hit that point!!

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

how far forward was that seat!!! Sounds like fun.

Christine and Ronnie Brown said...

Do you think he'll have his license before he gets married?
Bennett you make Grandma and Gampa Brown feel so old! (But Proud)
We love you

Christine and Ronnie Brown said...

Lydia, we want to know qbout the aliens. Come on, give it up!

Aaron said...

Awesome, now he just needs a knife!!!!

I liked the comment, "straighten out, your headed for that fence."
To which he replied, "what fence."
I was laughing the whole time. Again that was awesome.