CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

deluxe devils food cake

Since I had several requests for this recipe, I thought I'd go ahead and post it. It really is simple, and if anyone needs help while baking this, just give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

preparation: Spray 3 nine inch round pans with cooking spray and dust with flour. Heat oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl add:
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp clear vanilla (I don't have any clear vanilla, so I just used regular vanilla)
3/4 tsp almond extract
2 large eggs
Beat on med speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.

In a small bowl add:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
mix dry ingredients

2 1/4 cups buttermilk

beat dry ingredients into creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk on med speed. Beat 1 min longer. Pour into prepared pans

Bake 26 to 30 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 min, remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely

Butter cream frosting:
1 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
2 tsp clear vanilla (the clear vanilla will make the frosting white, but you can use regular vanilla, the frosting will be more of an off white.)
1 tsp almond extract
8-9 TBLS milk
7 1/2 cups powdered sugar.

beat butter, vanilla, almond extract in med. bowl at med. speed until creamy. Gradually add milk and powdered sugar, scraping bowl as needed. Beat on high speed adding additional milk by the TBLS until the right spreading consistency.

Place first layer, rounded side down on plate. Spread butter cream frosting. Level off top of second layer. Top with second layer, top side down. Spread with frosting. Top with third layer, top side up. Frost sides and top of cake. Refrigerate cake to set frosting. Allow cake to stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.

So that's it. I promise it really is simple. Give it a try and then post your results.

6 comments:

Yumi said...

Ohh, thanks for the recipe! I'll have to copy it and let you know when I make it. Not sure when that'll be as most birthdays have passed in our family. Kela's isn't until July, and I think my sister's friend is making a Pooh cake for Anna and her cousin's bday party...and I so want to make it before July!! I'll just have to think up of a reason to bake it. :) Thanks for posting!

Penny said...

Gini, Jen told me about your blog. Your family is beautiful! I love reading about your life on here. I don't have a blog, but will leave my e mail on here. Good to see how you're doing!
Penny (luckypennydixon@yahoo.com)

Yumi said...

Hey Gini!
Well...it turns out my sister's friend can no longer make the pooh cake like she said, so I just may make this cake for Anna & her cousin's bday!! So, do you think this cake will hold up to some "sculpting"? I'll probably refrigerage or freeze it overnight & then cut & frost....let me know what you think! :) And I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out! Oooh Can't wait!

Gini said...

I think that would work fine. I'd freeze it like you said. Can't wait to see how it turns out!:)

Jake and Megan said...

I will have to try the cake it looks so good. You are such a great cook!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.