CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Barn Owls



I think we have a Major flock of these things in our yard! We have always had a few owls here. I can remember when Bennett was little, and we watched the secret of NIMH, (a movie about smart rats that I loved when I was a kid) he was really scared of owls after that. Well we had an owl that lived in the tree right outside his window, and it would hoot all night long. Which would scare the poor kid half to death, and he would come down stairs crying almost every night. After a while he got use to them, and now the kids think they are great. I have always liked them because they keep the field mice population under control. (we live in the country and have lots of mice in the yard and the fields around our house) Last year we had a pack meeting here at our house. (we do a couple times a year, it is the perfect place for a bon fire, and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows) We were having an arrow of light ceremony and right in the middle of it an owl flies over our heads and lands in a tree right next to the kids who were getting their arrow of light. It was so cool, and perfect for the ceremony. But lately however, it seems as if we have hundreds of owls living in our trees, and they don't shut up! All night long I here "WHO WHO WHO" over and over and it really seems to be getting louder. I toss and turn most nights because of the stinking things, and tonight is no exception! I can't see them, but I know they are there, dozens of little peeping Toms, trying to get a look! (I'm joking! I'm not really that self involved!) What to do! I should stop complaining and get up earlier in the morning, then I will be so tired at night, I won't hear a thing! Anything that eats mice is a friend of mine!

2 comments:

lydia moyer said...

is that a scary movie in the making
"attack of the hooting owls!" it doesn't help that jason isn't there with you at night. i always seem to get myself worked up into a tizzy when my jason isn't home at nights.
sorry i probably just made your sitch' worse>

tiarastantrums said...

this is so weird - I have an owl in my back yard too! Been there for years, he drives me insane!!Get a sleep machine!